2017 was a fun year at Summit Brewing Co. There was plenty new beers and variety packs offered, they won another silver medal at the Great American Beer Festival, launched a renovation of their Beer Hall, and were named 2017’s Most Underrated Brewery in America by Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine. But now they are looking ahead to 2018. Here’s a month-by-month overview of all the new beers they are preparing for 2018.
Entering the year-round lineup starting January 1 is Summit Dakota Soul, a classical Czech-style Pils featuring North Dakota barley. Dakota Soul arrives on draft and in 12-packs of 12-oz. cans, as well as 6 and 12-packs of 12-oz. bottles.
Also dropping in January is a new edition of the Summit IPA Collection, featuring twelve 12-oz. cans. Included are Summit Sága IPA and three brand-new hop-forward brews: Wee IPA, Imperial IPA, and Experimental Hop IPA. Get ready to stage an epic hop raid with these beasts:
- Summit Wee IPA is a heavily hopped, sessionable pale ale with aromas of passionfruit, key lime, and melon. It is available only in the variety box.
- Summit Imperial IPA brings immense aromas of tangerine, stone fruit, and lemon to an 8.5% ABV monster with 105 IBU. It is also available only in the variety box.
- Summit Experimental Hop IPA features big hop flavors of pineapple, coconut, peach, and apricot. It will be available in the variety box and on draft.
After debuting as a one-time brew in 2016 and returning as a summer seasonal in 2017, Summit Keller Pils is being promoted in January to a year-round rotation, arriving on draft and in 6 and 12-packs of 12-oz. cans.
April 2018 will see a new edition of the Summit Boundary Waters Box, a 12-pack of 12-oz. cans built specifically for your cooler. Summit Hefeweizen returns, new beers Summit Golden Fruited Ale and Summit Shore Sitter debut, and Summit Lazy Sipper plans world domination.
- Withbig fruit additions of genuine peach and apricot, Summit Golden Fruited Ale will be available in 12-oz. cans and on draft.
- Summit Shore Sitter, a traditional white ale, debuts in the Boundary Waters Box and on draft. ComeJune2018, however, Shore Sitter joins our year-round lineup in 6 and 12-packs of 12-oz. cans.
- Brewed exclusively for the 2017 Minnesota State Fair, Summit Lazy Sipper features Minnesota-grown ingredients and strawberries from the University of Minnesota’s breeding program. Find it on draft, in the Boundary Waters Box, plus inside 12-packs of 12-oz. cans and 6 and 12-packs of 12-oz. bottles.
The Summit Harvest Collection returns in August 2018 as a 12-pack of 12-oz. cans featuring Summit Extra Pale Ale, Oktoberfest, Dakota Soul, and a new limited-release Summit Minnesota Harvest Ale.
- Brewed with ingredients sourced from the state of Minnesota, Summit brewers are still tinkering with the final recipe for Summit Minnesota Harvest Ale. Find it on draft and in 12-oz. cans.
- Summit Snow Emergency is a new, vanilla-infused take on Summit Great Northern Porter. It will be available in the Penalty Box, on draft, and in twelve-packs of 12-oz. cans, as well as 6 and 12-packs of 12-oz. bottles.
- Summit Dark Infusion, an overwhelmingly popular coffee milk stout that debuted in November 2016, is the first-ever Summit Unchained Series beer to make a comeback. And don’t worry, we aren’t changing a thing. You’ll find it on draft and in 12-oz. cans exclusively inside the 2018 Summit Penalty Box.
November 2018 will also see the release of Summit Union Series 7: 120 Shilling Export Scotch Ale, a small batch aged in wooden hogsheads that will arrive on draft and in 4-packs of 12-oz. bottles.
Summit Brewing has a secret and they aren’t sharing quite yet.
A Note Regarding the Summit Unchained Series
After 9+ years and 26 unique, one-off beers, the Summit Unchained Series will return in 2018 as a draft-only program available exclusively at the Summit Beer Hall. Though limited in production and distribution, the Summit Unchained Series will continue to allow Summit brewers to showcase their skill and creativity with the best damn ingredients they can find. More information about upcoming Unchained Series beers will be available in the coming months.
A Word from Mark Stutrud
Heading into our brewery’s 32nd year, Summit Brewing Co. Founder and President Mark Stutrud would like to set the record straight: “Continuous improvement is core to Summit, because it’s important for beer to fit with the time and flavor preferences of the people drinking it. We aren’t changing what we do or how we operate — this is what we’ve always done. We’re simply talking about it now, turning up the volume, and refusing to diminish the role we’ve played in establishing standards of flavor and quality in this industry.”
Disclaimer: Just about everything in this release is subject to change, but holy smokes, we hope there aren’t too many updates. That would be a lot of work.